Thursday, January 05, 2006

HOT AND NOT (part two)

HOT - Gentleman Reg "Bundle" - don't know the rest of the disc well enough to comment yet, the song appearing randomly on shuffle mode made me want more - catchy little hooks and interesting instrumentation.
HOT - M.I.A "Galang" - I've heard a bit of M.I.A here and there, Mike put this on his best of 2005 disc that he just sent (THANKS MIKE WHITE !!), and just this morning while running, it got me - fun fun fun - I want more.


HOT - Going to the gym again.
NOT - Not going for most of the fall/winter.

HOT - Foods this year - Kale and Flax - not combined (I guess you could), both "miracle foods", kale - loaded with calcium, potassium, indoles (cancer-fighting substances), beta-carotenes, and other antioxidants, and flax - full of great omega 3 and 6 fats and cancer fighting lignans (and of course regularity).



HOT - Books - "The Diviners" Margaret Laurence. Being controversial and pegged (negatively of course) as a feminist in high school I was intrigued - after reading a 50 cent copy of "The Fire Dwellers" I moved on to "The Diviners". It was an absolute pleasure to witness the growth and awareness of Morag Gunn through the various stages of her life. A wise, reflective and important read - especially at a cabin in the middle of nowhere this summer - I felt so Canadian - just myself, the lake, Roy, Catherine Parr Traill, Susanna Moodie and Morag Gunn.
NOT - Books - "The Da Vinci Code" Dan Brown - ok ok ok, a page turner for sure, and an interesting theory that has honest links to history - BUT MAN ! - the soap opera writing complete with blank stares returning to blank stares (where some important piece of plot development is explored in flashback), little hints - then reminders of those little hints - constant recaps assuming the reading has retained nothing. Page turner - but bad soooooo bad.


HOT - Harry Potter books.
NOT - Harry Potter films (especially after reading the books) - just can't capture the magic.

HOT - the Enneagram personally type system - honestly helpful and complex - good for relationship stuff too.

HOT - $5 dollar burger plate (with fresh cut fries and veggie salad) at Patati Patata - again, a block away from the homestead.

HOT - Saturday Morning "Globe and Mail and coffee on a blanket with Roy" events in Jean Mance park this summer/fall.
NOT - getting out of the city as much as I wanted to.

HOT - Brokeback Mountain - This deserves and entire post - I feel like I have so much to say about it, but it's still a bit of a feeling rather that an intelligent discussion at this point. I think I'll see it again. As I said before - It's stayed with me in ways I didn't expect. It's an important movie about love, choices and how that effects everyone involved. Hmmm - more on this later.


HOT - Christmas card greeting from Susanna in Philly, "Many wishes for a new year filled with adventures, laughter, peace, love and the impeachment of George W. Bush"

I THINK MIGHT BE HOT - I really want to see "Good Night and Good Luck", "Syriana", I want to give M.I.A more of a listen, also the Magic Numbers and the Ravonettes (have been lovin' "Love in a Trashcan" all summer).
I THINK MIGHT BE A NOT - Sufjan Stevens - there's something about this guy that annoys me a little, but I don't know enough to fully comment - maybe it's the christian overtones, or the the smug sentimentality, got to check this guy out a little more. He's cute - I'll give em that.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay kale and flax! I am agreeing with all of your hotness and notness.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo for rating Sufjan Stevens a potential Not, Mr. Verburg. You definitely need to give him more of a listen.

Not only is he adorable and friendly, his velvety throat and complicated musical compositions (which he writes and plays many of the intruments for), prove that he's got more talent than most of the over-produced "indie" crap that makes it big lately. Though his self-stated Christianity is a little bit of a turnoff, I prefer it to if he were a Christian and hid it to sell more records to hipsters.

Oh, and he lives in Brooklyn, gave me a fake tattoo, and once bought me a drink. And his manager insists she thinks he's homo.

OK, that's my plug for Sufjan. Just sayin.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but a big ol fat "hell to the yes" on flax and kale hotness. That some good stuff.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

cdawg - he's totally a homo - aaaassssss if he isn't - that was going to be a future post - bought you a drink eh? and you didn't do anything to the guy? i bet you could ya know. Just sayin'

7:05 AM  
Blogger rabblerocket said...

I'm with you on Gentleman Reg (hot!) and Sufjan Stevens (not my style, though I am sure he is an upstanding young man).

7:58 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

hey hiister - are you talkin' looks hot or music hot for the gentleman?

jimmy

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi!
you're the only person i really know who has a blog...!
also, i found an exciting something for you, which i will give you in class next week. suspense!
see you soon!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

mmmm - something exciting you say Dominique ! can't wait. I hope your holiday was good!

see you soon
jim

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow
The Hot and not list is a great idea!
Love what you have written and the picture are great!
Not sure about the how kale thing?! Mom said she made an all out dutch meal but kale Jim!!! Really?!:)

Lots of Love
Anita

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

budget car insurance
rental car insurance
car insurance n
florida car insurance
free car insurance quote
car accident insurance
best car insurance company
low car insurance
car insurance uk
cheap car insurance quote uk
churchil
l car insurance

car insurance chicago
direct line car insurance
car insurance
best car insurance quote
admiral car insurance
buy car insurance
budget car insurance
car insurance coverage
best car insurance
cheap car insurance for young driver
car insurance broker
discount car insurance
allstate car insurance
free online car insurance quote
buy car insurance online
best car insurance rate
compare car insurance rate
car insurance rating
antique car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
online car insurance rate

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.mfg.com/usa/tramadolonline/#21478 cheap tramadol for dogs - tramadol biogaran l.p.100mg

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home