Thursday, December 22, 2005

Here's random some bits fer ya

Angst bit.

The lovely and talented Yvonne is visiting, and as lovely as that is - I can't seem to shake this subtle underlying angst. The holidays always confuse the daily routine a bit. I want to go with the flow, roll with the punches and all of that, but the lack of schedule is difficult. This lack of structure seems to amplify my current situation of having so many things are up in the air in terms of my employment, pay the bills, academic and work future. It sucks - wanting to go out and experience all the great food this city has to offer as well as buy nice things - or material to make nice things for christmas gifts - but definitely not having the financial means to do so.

So I'm trying not to get get too wrapped up in feeling the angst - but taking the time to do what I need to do to enjoy the company, and take advantage of this time I have to take a break from thinking too much. It's an odd place to be. I know I feel my best when I'm involved with something outside myself - doing things, working at something that has some bit of importance or relevance where my talents and abilities are used and appreciated - bringing those experiences back to my time with friends and partner. We do find worth in the things we do - it's difficult when you aren't doing much.


Another (yummy) bit.

Going for yummy Sala Rosa dinner soon with Yvonne and Roy. mmmmm. Have I ever said how much I love food? Tonight will consist of the usual fare - garlic shrimp, fried spanish sausage in red wine, rapini with garlic and lemon, sauteed zuccuni peppers and tomatoes on a nest of fried potatoes (with that lovely sharp cheese), those little fried goat cheese with honey and caramelized onions, and lets not forget the potato and spinach croquettes with the spicy sauce. Loooove it. It's one of my fav places to go for a treat. It's my special christmas dinner.




And of special interest.




We'll be watching the 1965 National Film Board Documentary "Ladies and Gentleman...Mr. Leonard Cohen" I've been wanting to see it for a while, and because I wanted to inspiration for one I'll be making introducing Sarah Harmer - just you wait...I'm working on the pitch. Yvonne said it was great, and we've been talking about Mr. Cohen as his house is next to mine here in Montreal - so we got it for later.

Speaking of great films - Brokeback Mountain has stayed with me in ways I didn't expect. It's a beautifully sad film with a great final image which I'll talk about someday soon.




and speaking of Sarah Harmer, she's finally been pitched (for Escarpment Blues) as a track the nation should be listening to this week on CBC's National Playlist (which I listen to daily), I wouldn't have picked that particular song, but that album hasn't seemed to have left my stereo since I got it a few months ago. Here's the email I sent to the National Playlist a week ago:



Classic and lasting with a heartbreakingly honest voice, Sarah Harmer has been an important part of the Canadian music scene for over 10 years as the driving force between the indie band Weeping Tile and now as a successful solo artist – but that’s the key – having never reached the hype or the commercial success of the many “flash in the pan” bands frequenting the radio of show such as this one, this down to earth artist often gets over looked. She does her thing and she does it well.

If you’ve had a chance to catch Sarah live – it’s impossible to not be taken by her immense talent and songwriting ability. From rock to pop, folk and now a bit of bluegrass all framed by Sarah’s unique voice – Sarah Harmer is one of the best this country has to offer and an artist that definitely deserves a spot on the national play list.

Although hard to choose - I’d like to nominate the song Lodestar from the 2000 release “You Where Here” – the album that was close to topping so many critics lists of that year offers one of the most beautifully honest reflections of the complexity of love both present and past. “Lodestar” is a song that may best represent the talent of Sarah Harmer. Starting off as a dreamy repetitive poetic piece that slowly builds to the dizziest of heights – this song musically reflects the subtle country, folk and punk sensibilities of the artist in one track. The night landscape lyrically painting a picture starting with quiet introspection moving to a more bold assertion “listen – the darkness rings, take off your things – listen! – The darkness rings”.

I guarantee that Sarah will be making music and performing for many years to come, and will one day be seen in the same light as Neil Young, Lucinda Williams and Johnny Cash.

Fall into it, and put it on the list.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daaaa Jims!

You are a blogging MANiac. I'm looking forward to our Dutch Christmas Eve fun-do. Love Roy.

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim!

THere is so much to respond to in this entry. First, that restaurant sounded amazing. Your descriptions of the food made me realize I should not read your blog on an empty stomach!:) Chris and Julee also really love Sarah Harmer. I am really happy to hear that her new album is fantastic. I was planning on going to see the movie "Brokeback Mountain" when it comes to Vancouver. I will let you know when I do. Okay, I think that covers everything.

Love Anita

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

You're so sweet. Thanks for the kind words.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home