Wednesday, January 04, 2006

HOT AND NOT 2005 (part one)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!

So here's a random HOT and NOT list of some of the aspects of 2005.

HOT - Album, Kings of Convenience, "Riot on an Empty Street" A beautifully subtle continuation of "Quiet is the New Loud" with all of what I love so much about this band. Although released last year, it makes the HOT list due to the amount of play in 2005 and providing one of the best live shows I have ever seen this past February. Shy, geek, cute, acoustic, harmonies, the sixties and talent to spare.


HOT - Album, Sarah Harmer, "I'm a Mountain" Released late in the year, a sparsely instrumented acoustic record giving Sarah's inner country gal centre stage. A breathe of fresh air contrasted with the contained over production of last years "All of Our Names". Her voice has never sounded so good. Touring the album playing small venues with a killer acoustic band (and GREAT backing vocals from Julie Fader) - the 2 and a half hour November show was the best I've ever seen of Sarah. Swoon.

NOT - Band "The Go Team" - sorry hipsters...I want to like them, I really tried. Some catchy, fun stuff, but ultimately not lasting (and I heard the show sucked). Maybe it's a bit like how the Hidden Camera's have developed - really great for a while, but by the time the rest of the world caught on - a bit annoying and tired (just for clarity I LOVE the Hidden Camera's first disc "The Smell of Our Own" - there was such and energy and excitement around this time for the band, but rumored infighting and a poor second disc lost my interest).

HOT - The kid in film "You, Me, and Everyone We Know" - the most heartbreakingly cute kid I have ever seen in a film. I enjoyed the rest of it too (except the "relationship in our first walk down the street" bit). Could have been art school pretentious shit, but wasn't.
NOT - Arrogant pretentious rich art school students who have no idea about anything.


HOT - Film "C.R.A.Z.Y", One of the best films I've seen out of Quebec. Jean-Marc Vallee's beautifully shot, magical, heartfelt, drama of family life from the 60's through the 80's. My parents should see this, also Eric Lamoureux (you look a little like the guy Rico)
NOT (or more appropriately SUCKED) - the packaging of the DVD for this film - in NO WAY reflecting the fine aesthetic of the film - what were the people thinking? (same goes for the new Sarah Harmer)


HOT - Random gifts for no apparent reason - gifts like, oh, um, let's think...that little silver ipod mini that Roy showed up at my house with in the spring.

HOT - Killer dance songs on Gorillaz "Damon Days" - "Dirty Harry" gets it groovin', "Fell Good Inc." carries it through to get ya shakin'.

NOT - Nickleback (hate hate hate)

HOT - Pupusas - "thick, hand-made corn tortilla (made using masa, a maize flour used in Latin American Cuisine) that is stuffed with cheese (queso) (usually a soft Salvadorian cheese called Quesillo) and refried beans (frijoles refritos), usually served with curtido (a type of spicy coleslaw) and a hot or medium sauce. Filling, fast and cheap at a whopping $2.25, made by the minxy spanish ladies less than a block away from my house. Mmmmm.


HOT - Doing text in Adobe InDesign.
NOT - Doing text in Word.

HOT - Panczki (pronounces punch-key) Traditional Polish filled doughnut type sweet - the most delicious fluffy tasty things I have ever had - EVER - and I don't usually like doughnuts. I thought the fresh Krispy Kremes were good... whatever. The batter is made up of yeast, flour, rum, butter and eggs - filled with either a custard type creme, apricot or plum filling. One block away form Roy's house (our weekend treat).
NOT - Tim Hortons (for everything)


HOT - having a boyfriend whom I talk with, laugh with, feel equal too, have the best sex ever with, deal with things with, hang out with, get through various stages with and love.


HOT - new friends this year most notably Fussell.

HOT - new roommate, space and cheap rent.


NOT - shitty minimum wage paying jobs with coworkers that let me do all the work (because I was the last one hired) while they browse ebay, play computer games, eat chips and take as many smoke breaks they want.
HOT - working so close to Fussell that we can always have lunch when I work.

HOT - the treatment we got on our one year anniversary at the restaurant "Rumi". Great service, great food, and lots of things on the house.

HOT - the possible NDP swing vote in a minority government.
NOT - George Bush being elected again - the people who aren't going to vote NDP cause they're scared of the Conservative party (way ta go Buzz Hargrove - shit man)

HOT - Same sex marriage finally.
NOT - right wing conservative backlash.

That's enough to read for now MORE TO COME LATER !

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're, like, hot man. Hooooot.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate The Go Team. I also tried. MIA is my favourite album of the year.
jeffy

4:18 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I know Jeffy - It was your top of 2005 list that inspired this hot and not. I want to have more M.I.A

jimmy

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home