Saturday, December 17, 2005

A Mass Post

As to eliminate the mass emails and the coming christmas "here's what I'm up to now" email, I have sent you all a link to this blog, so you can find out what's going on when you want to.

Going through a recent application and interview process (and not getting the job) has brought up a lot of life plan, where an I going type thinking again. I'm a little sick of school at the moment, and not speaking fluent french provides a definite block in finding meaningful work in Montreal. In a way - I feel I've been hiding here at school, not as involved in contributing in a way I felt I was in Kingston. Sure in class critiques and my interactions with other students and teachers, but all under a very specific context (with it's own rules).

It's a bit of the age thing. I know that if I were making a go of an art star career outside of school I might be recognized as an artist doing valuable things - but in the system at the undergrad stage, your work tends to undervalued until you have a masters degree or a name for yourself in the gallery scene. I'm not even sure if I want to play that scene anyways - I'm much more into community people stuff. I'm kinda tired of it and don't want to get more and more into debt for it. So I'm applying (and have been for a the past year) for Quebec residency status, which would lower my tuition and make me eligible for Quebec student loans - which have a huge grant potion for people as poor as myself. The process has been stalled by various blocks in the way (not ever being on a lease since I've moved here - having to track down previous landlords ect.), but once is done will make the option of completing some sort of degree way more attractive.

I'm working at the Concordia bookstore - which is another post.

I divide my time between my lovely centrally located apartment in which I have a work space to do the little more exciting photo or design jobs (that I want more of), and Roy's quieter place near the Jean Talon market in which I relax, make food and hang with my lovely lover.

We're staying around Montreal for christmas. We decorated the tree (a USED good lookin' fake tree - no death of a real one, and no production of a new fake one) a few days ago.

So there's been talk of a move to an new place, but all that will work itself out in the new year. Speaking of new year - let me know of the possible festive options - we might be on wheels, and in various Ontario locations around that time.

That's it for this morning, more later - I gotta get out in the snow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim!:)
I love your new blog. It is great having a constant sorce to tap into to findout what is going on in your life!:) I hope that you and Roy have a fanatastic christmas together. Talk to you soon.

Anita

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really glad you have a blog and I hope you will post some of your fab phots (Jimmie talk). You are on my fav list sweetie.
Michael(Ktown)

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home