Sunday, February 12, 2006

Context

I guess this provides a bit of context and links the work to other work in art history - I had seen Sam Taylor Wood's image before, but not with the bottom bit - damn. I thought that bit was original. Both are totally referencing the Mantegna. Interesting. I always thought of the Mantegna with my image - I remember seeing it in Art History classes in high school - there's another one as well that I can't think of now - I think it's a Dutch painter, and I think there's a crown of thorns on the Christ figure. Let me know if anyone knows.


Soliloquy VII
Sam Taylor-Wood
1999
C-type color prints,
framed in two parts
87 1/3 x 95 1/4 inches


Andrea Mantegna
The Lamentation over the Dead Christ
c. 1490
Tempera on canvas
68 x 81 cm
Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan


Untitled Landscape # 1
Jim Verburg
2006
colour inkjet print
40 by 39 inches

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this image or should I say the two images. very cool. The bottom reminds me of toni onley and colville.
your work just keeps getting better.
Michael

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home